Ali becomes a Muslim
Ali becomes a MuslimAli becomes a Muslim
One day, when Ali (radiAllahu anhu) was ten years old, he came home and saw something strange. Muhammad (salAllahu alayhi wasalam) was standing with his head bent forward and his hands folded on his chest. His wife Khadijah (radiAllahu anha), was also standing beside him, doing the same thing.
As Ali watched them, Muhammad and Khadijah bowed towards the ground. They stayed in that position for a moment and then stood up straight again. Ali wondered what they were doing. Then he saw them go down on their knees and touch the ground with their foreheads.
"What a strange thing to do!", though Ali (radiAllahu anhu). "I have often seen people bowing down before stone idols, but there is no idol here. Muhammad (salAllahu alayhi wasalam) and Khadijah (radiAllahu anha) are certainly not worshipping an idol, but they are worshipping Someone."
Ali was a sensible boy. Although he did not completely understand what Muhammad was doing, he knew that he was praying. He thought that Muhammad (salAllahu alayhi wasalam) was praying to a God whom he could not see. Ali very much wanted to know who this unseen God was.
As soon as Muhammad had finished his prayer, Ali asked him what he had been doing. Muhamad (salAllahu alayhi wasalam) was pleased when the boy asked him to explain.
He smiled at Ali and said to him, "Listen carefully my boy! Khadijah and I were worshipping Allah. He is the One and only True God. There is no God but He.
Allah has chosen me to be His Messenger. He has ordered me to take His message to my people. This is His message and this is what I have to tell the people. They should give up all false gods and worship only Him. They must obey Him alone, because He is the One and only True God."
Muhammad (salAllahu alayhi wasalam) then looked Ali straight in the eyes and said to him, "You know how much I love you. I have looked after you as if you were my own son. I have never told you a lie - I have never deceived you. I want you to believe the truth that I have just told you. There is no God but Allah; He has chosen me as His prophet."
Ali (radiAllahu anhu) knew at once that Muhammad was speaking the truth, and so he believed what Muhammad (salAllahu alayhi wasalam) had said.
The Blessed Prophet was delighted. "Welcome Ali," he said. "You know in your heart what I have said is true. I can see you have accepted Allah as the One and only True God. You are the first boy to become a Muslim."
- Hud (Hud) - Description of Hud
- Hud (Hud) - Commentary - Hud's Appeal to His People
- Hud (Hud) - Hud's Appeal to His People - Qur'anic
- Salih (Salih) - Salih's People Demand a Miracle
- Salih (Salih) - The Disbelievers' Hatred for Salih
- Salih (Salih) - The Disbelievers' Plot to Kill the She-Camel
- Salih (Salih) - Salih's Story - Condensed Qur'anic Version
- Yunus (Jonah) - Description of Jonah's People
- Yunus (Jonah) - Jonah Leaves His People
- Yunus (Jonah) - The People are Forgiven
- Yunus (Jonah) - The Storm at Sea
- Yunus (Jonah) - The Whale Swallows Jonah
- Yunus (Jonah) - Summary of Jonah's Story
- Dawud (David) - David Challenges Goliath
- Dawud (David) - David and Goliath Fight
- Dawud (David) - David Becomes a Prophet
- Dawud (David) - Daivd is Granted the Language of Animals
- Dawud (David) - Saul Plots to Kill David
- Idris (Enoch) - Birth and Teachings
- Lut (Lot) - Description of the People of Sodom
- Lut (Lot) - Angels Come to Meet Lot
- Musa (Moses) - The Story of Moses
- Musa (Moses) - The Situation after Moses is Proven Right
- Musa (Moses) - The Perishing of Pharaoh and His Army
- Musa (Moses) - The Israelites after Pharaoh's Defeat
- Musa (Moses) - The Story of the Israelites and the Cow
- Shia (Isaiah) - Allah Destroys Hezekiah's Enemies
- Shia (Isaiah) - Allah Grants More Life to Hezekiah
- Shia (Isaiah) - Isaiah and Hezekiah
- Allah does exist