Salih (Salih) - Salih's People Demand a Miracle
Salih (Salih) - Salih's People Demand a MiracleSalih (Salih) - Salih's People Demand a Miracle
They merely wanted to worship the same gods as their fathers had, with no reason, no proof, no thought. The proof of Salih's message was evident, but despite this it was obvious that most of his people did not believe him. They doubted his words, thinking he was charmed, and they saw that he would not stop preaching. Fearing that his followers would increase, they tried to put him off by assigning him an important task: to prove that he was a messenger of Allah by performing a miracle. Let a unique she-camel issue from the mountains.
Allah granted Salih this miracle and a huge, unique shecamel appeared from the direction of the mountain. The Qur'anic commentators said that the people of Thamud gathered on a certain day at their meeting place, and the prophet Salih came and addressed them to believe in Allah, reminding them of the favors Allah had granted them.
Then, pointing at a rock, they demanded: "Ask your Lord to make a she-camel - which must be ten months pregnant, tall and attractive - issue from the rock for us."
Salih replied: "Look now! If Allah sends you what you have requested, just as you have described, will you believe in that which I have come to you with, and have faith in the message I have been sent with?"
They answered: "Yes."
So he took a vow from them on this, then prayed to Allah the Almighty to grant their request. Allah ordered the distant rock to split asunder, bringing forth a great ten-month pregnant she-camel. When their set eyes on it, they were amazed. They saw a great thing, a wonderful sight, dazzling power, clear evidence!
A number of Salih's people believed, yet most of them continued in their disbelief, stubbornness and going astray. Allah the Almighty said: And We sent the she-camel to Thamud as a clear sign, but they did her wrong. Surah 17: 59 Also: And verily, the dwellers of Al-Hijr (the rocky tract) denied the Messengers. And We gave them Our Signs, but they were averse to them. Surah 15: 80-81
- Hud (Hud) - Description of Hud
- Hud (Hud) - Commentary - Hud's Appeal to His People
- Hud (Hud) - Hud's Appeal to His People - Qur'anic
- Salih (Salih) - Salih's People Demand a Miracle
- Salih (Salih) - The Disbelievers' Hatred for Salih
- Salih (Salih) - The Disbelievers' Plot to Kill the She-Camel
- Salih (Salih) - Salih's Story - Condensed Qur'anic Version
- Yunus (Jonah) - Description of Jonah's People
- Yunus (Jonah) - Jonah Leaves His People
- Yunus (Jonah) - The People are Forgiven
- Yunus (Jonah) - The Storm at Sea
- Yunus (Jonah) - The Whale Swallows Jonah
- Yunus (Jonah) - Summary of Jonah's Story
- Dawud (David) - David Challenges Goliath
- Dawud (David) - David and Goliath Fight
- Dawud (David) - David Becomes a Prophet
- Dawud (David) - Daivd is Granted the Language of Animals
- Dawud (David) - Saul Plots to Kill David
- Idris (Enoch) - Birth and Teachings
- Lut (Lot) - Description of the People of Sodom
- Lut (Lot) - Angels Come to Meet Lot
- Musa (Moses) - The Story of Moses
- Musa (Moses) - The Situation after Moses is Proven Right
- Musa (Moses) - The Perishing of Pharaoh and His Army
- Musa (Moses) - The Israelites after Pharaoh's Defeat
- Musa (Moses) - The Story of the Israelites and the Cow
- Shia (Isaiah) - Allah Destroys Hezekiah's Enemies
- Shia (Isaiah) - Allah Grants More Life to Hezekiah
- Shia (Isaiah) - Isaiah and Hezekiah
- Allah does exist